Agencies will only accept certified copies of death certificates and not photocopies. Copies of certified death certificates can
be obtained by:
- Contacting the funeral home that filed the death certificate
- Pennsylvania Department of Vital Statistics, by visiting www.vitalcheck.com or by phone at 866-712-8238
(credit cards accepted).
- You may order in person at a Pennsylvania Vital Records branch office in Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia,
Pittsburgh or Scranton. (Delivery ranges from same day to five days based on public office processing time.)
- You may order by mail: Send application, identification and payment to:
Department of Health
Division of Vital Records
PO Box 1528
New Castle, PA 16103
Applications are available upon request at the funeral home.
- Certified copies are $20.00 each and only available locally up until 90 days from the date of death.
- After 90 days the certificate is filed with the state of Pennsylvania and certified copies may take four to six weeks to obtain.
ORGANIZATIONS REQUIRING A LEGAL COPY OF THE DEATH CERTIFICATE.
- Bank accounts
- Certificates of Deposit
- Credit Unions
- Executor/Executrix of the estate to probate the will
- Federal, State and Estate Tax Returns
- Fraternal Organizations Burial Benefits
- Life Insurance Policies
- Motor Vehicle Bureau(MV-39 Notification of Assignment/Correction of vehicle title upon death of owner can be obtained by the funeral home and used in place of a certified death certificate.)
- Preneed Trust
- Pension Plans or IRA Funds
- Sale of jointly owned property
- Stocks, Bonds and Government Bonds
- Union Benefit Plans
- Veteran’s Benefits